Monday, May 19, 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival Entry



AmysCreativeSide.com
Okay, I've decided to take a deep breath, ignore all the mistakes on my quilt--my third one--and enter my Hoot Hoot Owl quilt in the Blogger's Quilt Festival in the small quilts category. Thank you, Amy, for hosting the Festival. I have seen sooo many beautiful quilts

I love my Hoot Hoot Owl quilt despite its mistakes or maybe because of them. I have learned a lot making this quilt and with each quilt, I learn more.


I had the help of one very unhappy cat (because I kept trying to move her) while making this quilt, which is why I have diagonals and not diamonds for the quilting. The process was quilt, move cat, quilt, move cat. She now has her own quilted cat pad, which I would enter, but all the points are off center--it was for the cat and she didn't care. You can see the cat pad here if you are interested.


The pattern is from the makeitModern 2013 BHG magazine. Lots of great quilt patterns in that magazine. I just changed the color scheme because this is for a little girl who likes pink. I stitched in the ditch (getting better, but not great) around "most" of the appliqué, which was done by machine. Then straight-stitched white window panes in the blue and diagonals in the pink. 


For the first time ever, I buried my threads--shocking to me that I did that. I machine stitched the binding using an embroidery stitch with a multi-colored Mettler thread. For the rest of the quilt I used white Aurifil, 50 wt.


Looking faded out in the sun--I have to work on my photography skills also.



The back of the quilt. I swear it is much prettier than it looks in this photo--see the note above re my photography skills.


Thanks for looking at my entry. Here's to seeing new quilts and getting new inspiration!

6 comments:

  1. That is very cute!!! Love that unimpressed look on your cat's face. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Willow was definitely unimpressed when I would shoo her off the quilt. I just had to get a photo of that expression.

      Delete
  2. Adorable quilt!! I love the look on your kitty's face. I have a busybody cat too :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable and cheerful quilt!

    ReplyDelete