Monday, December 2, 2013

Beginnings

My paternal grandmother quilted. But, because I didn't think quilting would ever be "my thing," I never learned to quilt from her. I was left with one impression though--machine quilting is bad. Hand quilting is the ONLY way to go.

So, now I am in my late 50s and decided I wanted to try sewing and have discovered an absolute LOVE of quilting--machine quilting that is. As a cousin told me: "Your granny would turn over in her grave." I think she is just happy that I am quilting.

I am still learning, so my quilts are flawed, but it is calming to make your cuts precise, then piece and sew--as long as I don't have to do points. I find points fiddly. Maybe some day they will be relaxing also, but I'm not there yet.

My first completed quilt is the background for this blog. I really like it--flaws and all. I LOVE the colors, which led me to the title of my blog: Sweet Succotash.

Thanks to the Cathy and Carolyn at the Bernina Sewing Station in Brentwood, Tennessee for helping me choose fabric and the class that helped me start this quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment