Saturday, March 29, 2014

Jelly Charm Quilt--the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I like my jelly charm quilt. I really do. However, if I weren't so seam ripper averse, there are some things I would like to fix. Take a look at the photo below as I explain my laziness.


I didn't take the photo outside--too windy and rainy, but you can get the idea. I used the Wallflower charm pack and jelly roll from Windham fabrics by Cluck Cluck Sew.

So, of course, there are seams that don't match, but I am getting better. Jenny Doan's tip about putting the side with excess fabric on the bottom because the feed dog will take care of it has been a godsend. I still have trouble with cutting despite lining up and re-lining up and using a rotary cutter and ruler. Silent scream.

Then I actually meant to make a rectangle, but made a square semi-accidentally. I didn't want to line up too many seams, so I alternated sides, or at least I thought I was alternating sides until I got the the last row. AARRGGHH. So I had to make too many gray and blue squares (see the top row) because that was all I had left, which led to the square because I sewed a column instead of a row because I seemed to have forgotten how to think.

Then, let's look at the dark blue, which seems to be concentrated at the bottom of the quilt. I swear I checked for that. I didn't take a photo as I was arranging though. Live and learn. Taking the photo really helps me "see" the color/pattern organization better.

Even though you cannot see it, I tried to fold over matched seams so I could "nest" the seams for better alignment. In my glory, I didn't think about the folded over mess that would make since I had already sewn the seams another way. Clearly, I don't make show quilts. :-)

On the plus side, I am sewing faster and my seams matched better by the time I finished. I am improving. I think if I were more willing to use my seam ripper, I might improve faster. To give myself credit, I did "rip" three blocks that were too awful even for me. Just imagine what they looked like.

Still sewing away. May not have enough left over for a complete piano key border, but I'm working on it anyway. I will let you know how it goes.




No comments:

Post a Comment