Thursday, January 16, 2014

Hoot, Hoot: An Owl Quilt


The pattern is from a 2013 special issue from Better Homes and Gardens --  makeitModern. Great patterns in the book, but I don't think it is in stores now. I did find a copy online if you are interested.

For my quilt, I chose different colors because I "sort of" never like to do exactly what is in a pattern. I love the colors in this quilt and how the ovals look a little like feathers on the owl's wings. If you look closely at the wings, you will see that I didn't cut properly, but this is not a show quilt, but one made with love for a little 3-year old girl. I'm pretty sure that show quilts are NOT in my future.

Getting better at appliqué, but my corners are NOT good and I still stray a little too far from the edges on occasion, but I am getting better. I also forgot to mention that I was sooo careful to make sure the bottom edge, which was supposed to be the wider edge, was in place, then STILL appliqued topsy-turvy--though I guess if I hadn't told you that, you wouldn't know it. Still get slightly irritated at myself when I look at it. I am consoling myself with the thought that the windowsill is low enough for a little girl to lean out and look for real owls. I know that makes no sense, but it is what it is.

Still have about 9,750 hours to reach the magic 10,000 hour expert status. 


No comments:

Post a Comment